MA TESOL Program
About the Program
The English Language Institute (ELI) at King Abdulaziz university offers a two-year cutting-edge, challenging and inspiring MA TESOL Program to qualify students to become effective English language instructors equipped with a unique blend of firm theoretical, research foundations and best teaching practice in the field. Since its establishment in 2014, the MA TESOL Program has provided the nation with highly-qualified graduates to teach the English language to learners of different proficiency levels in a wide range of national teaching and learning contexts.
Why Study the MA TESOL at the ELI?
- The Program familiarizes students with a wide range of key knowledge-areas in the field and develops and hones related skill-sets.
- The Program is designed for both prospective and experienced English language teachers to enable them to apply knowledge and skills gained to the classroom setting in the interest of learning enhancement.
- The Program is also designed with the needs of public and private employers firmly in mind. The global and local job market has numerous job openings for English language teachers and the MA TESOL has come to play a crucial role in matching quality graduates with labor market requirements for effective English language teachers.
This qualification will enhance graduates' career prospects and be considered a real plus by prospective employers. Program graduates will have proven expertise in the field and be able to confidently consider applying to institutions, universities, colleges, schools, and training companies offering competitive job packages, both nationwide or further afield. The local list of prospective employers includes:
- The Ministry of Education (schools, colleges, and universities)
- Professional and technical training organizations
- All government and private educational sectors with English language professions
To qualify for admission to the MA TESOL Program, applicants must:
- Meet all KAU Graduate Deanship requirements
- Hold a B.A. in English Language, Linguistics, English Language and Literature, or Translation.
- Have achieved an IELTS Academic overall band score of 6 and above; or its equivalent on a recognized English proficiency exam.
These are minimum requirements. Other factors are also taken into consideration prior to program admission.
The MA TESOL Program involves two years of full-time coursework, including a thesis. Students are required to take seven compulsory courses and two electives.
- Second Language Acquisition
- TESOL Methodology
- Research Methods in TESOL
- Curriculum Design and Development
- Special Topics in TESOL
- Teaching Practicum
- Testing and Assessment
Students are required to complete an MA thesis, under the supervision of an academic supervisor, on a TESOL topic agreed with the Vice-Deanship for Graduate Studies.